"Merl the Pearl"
In the News
- New York Times puzzle editor has roots in Indiana -- 12/29/98 Louisville, Kentucky, The Courier-Journal
- 260 crossword puzzle aficionados compete for cash -- 3/14/99 Stamford Advocate
- Piano player from N.Y. takes top crossword prize -- 3/15/99 Stamford Advocate
- To err is rewarding in tourney -- 3/15/99 Connecticut Post Online
- Puzzle Lovers Square Off At Crossword Tournament -- 3/15/99 Hartford Courant
- Crazy About Crosswords
A Computer Competed This Year ...
- Proverb, the Crossword-Solving Computer Program
- Duke Researchers Pit Computer Against Human Crossword Puzzle Players
Reports from the Competition
- Nine Limericks Play online the tournament game, by Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon [Requires Java-enabled browser]
- Sliding puzzle of Jon Delfin's tournament-winning filled-in grid [Requires Java-enabled browser]