Crossword Tournament Program
45th Annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament
March 31 - April 2, 2023
|Jump ahead on this page to:||
Registration Info |
Hotel Reservations |
Prizes | About the Puzzles | Constructors | The Judges | Stamford | Solving at home
IN-PERSON REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Due to an overwhelming response, the capacity of the Stamford Marriott ballrooms has been reached and no more seating is possible. Therefore, in-person registration for the 2023 American Crossword Puzzle Tournament has been closed.
To be added to a waiting list, please write to us.
Registration is still open for:
- Friday Night Warm-Up Games and Puzzles -- Anigrams, Mick Hodgkin remarks, The Times of London Cryptic Crossword, Puzzle Potpourri competition, and wine-and-cheese reception
- Sunday Awards and Playoffs
- Virtual ACPT -- Solve all the puzzles from home during the weekend, with livestreaming of the event
- Play-by-Mail -- Receive the 2023 puzzles after the tournament for solving anytime
2023 Registration Information
|All Events as a Competitor (including Friday)||$270*|
|All Events as a Competitor (beginning Saturday morning)||$220*|
|All Events as a Non-Competitor (including Friday)||$215*|
|All Events as a Non-Competitor (beginning Saturday morning)||$165*|
|Friday Evening Games and Reception Only||$ 75|
|Spectator for Sunday Playoffs (starting at 11AM) + Puzzles||$ 25|
The Marriott is sold out. We arranged for rooms at the nearby Stamford Hotel (formerly the Sheraton). The information is below.
- You are responsible for making your own room reservations
- Online: Reservations at the nearby Stamford Hotel are available now. Group code is GACPT. Stamford Hotel ACPT Group Rate
- By phone: Phone call in your reservation to the Stamford Hotel at 203.358.8400 and be sure to ask for the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament group rate
- Email: Feel free to email Amalia Franzese Todd (email@example.com). at the Stamford Hotel with any questions or concerns.
- You are responsible for making your own room reservations
- Online: Reservations are available now. SATURDAY IS SOLD OUT. CHECK FOR FRIDAY. Stamford Marriott ACPT Group Rate
- By phone: Phone call in your reservation to the Marriott at 1-800-732-9689 and be sure to ask for the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament group rate
Be prepared with the following information:
- Group name: American Crossword Puzzle Tournament
- Dates: March 31 - April 2, 2023
- Number of people and choice single, double w/1 bed, or double w/2 beds
- Your name, (firm), address, and who you are sharing with. Note: to avoid duplication, submit one reservation for room shared by two or more people
- Arrival date (Thursday, March 30, Friday, March 31, or Saturday, April 1)
- Departure date (Sunday, April 2)
- Credit card info (number and expiration date)
Note that reservations will be held until 6 pm unless guaranteed for late arrival. Contact Marriott for more information.
Check-in time is 3pm. Check-out time is noon.
|Friday, March 31, 2023|
An evening of warm-up puzzles and entertainment:
|10:00PM||Wine and cheese reception.|
|11:00PM||Awards for all the evening games.|
|Saturday, April 1, 2023|
|9:30-11:00AM||Tournament sign-in (continued)|
|9:30AM-5PM||Puzzle market — Sale of puzzle books and products [in the Pavilion; continues between rounds all day]|
|11:00AM-12:45PM||Puzzles 1, 2, and 3|
|2:15-4:45PM||Puzzles 4, 5, and 6|
|Scores will be posted online as they become available|
|Sunday, April 2, 2023|
|11:00AM-Noon||“Crossworders Got Talent” — a puzzlers’ variety show|
|Noon-12:30PM||Presentation of the prizes, followed by the announcement of the Division A, B, and C playoff contestants|
|12:30-1:45PM||Puzzle 8 — Championship Playoffs. The Division A and B playoffs will be announced jointly by Ophira Eisenberg, comedian and radio host; and composer/puzzlemaker Greg Pliska|
Scoring is based on accuracy and speed. Score as follows:
- 10 points for every correct word you entered across and down
- A bonus of 25 points for each full minute you finished ahead of the suggested solution time — BUT reduced by 25 points for each missing or incorrect letter (but not beyond the point the bonus returns to zero)
- A bonus of 150 points for each completely correct solution
For the purpose of scoring, a "word" consists of any series of letters written between black squares in the grid, or between a black square and the border of the grid, whether it is a single word, a phrase, or otherwise.
Complete rules will be explained prior to competition.
|Division B||Contestants who have not won a Division A or Division B prize during their last seven tournaments|
|Division C||Contestants who have not finished in the top 20% during their last three tournaments|
|Division D||Contestants who have not finished in the top 40% during their last three tournaments|
|Division E||Contestants who have not finished in the top 65% during their last three tournaments|
|Age Divisions||Solvers 25 years and under (Juniors), 50-59 years (Fifties), 60-69 years (Sixties), 70-79 (Seventies) and 80+ (Seniors)|
|Regional Divisions||Solvers in each of 11 geographical regions:|
Connecticut, Other New England, New York City, Long Island, Westchester/Upstate New York, New Jersey, Other Mid-Atlantic, South, Midwest, West, Canada/Foreign [map]
|Rookies||Contestants competing for their first time. Rookies are not eligible for "D" or "E" prizes.|
|Division A||1st Prize||$7,000|
|Division B||1st Prize||$700|
|Division C||1st Prize||$150|
|Each of Divisions D and E; Juniors, Fifties, Sixties, Seventies, Seniors||1st-3rd Prizes||Trophy|
|11 Regional Winners (each) [map]||1st & 2nd Prizes||Trophy|
|4th & 5th||Trophy|
Plus Every prizewinner receives a New York Times crossword collection from St. Martin's Press.
About the Puzzles
All crosswords have been specially created and edited for the tournament.
The judges and referees include leading names in crossword puzzling.
Constructors are listed alphabetically
- Kevin Christian
- Kameron Austin Collins
- Sam Ezersky
- Joel Fagliano
- Christina Iverson
- Lynn Lempel
- Andrea Carla Michaels
- Mike Shenk
- Robyn Weintraub
Stamford, CT: Directions and Information
243 Tresser Boulevard
Stamford, Connecticut 06901 USA
Note: there is no shuttle service between airports and the hotel.
JFK 42 miles. Driving Directions: Take Van Wyck Expressway to Whitestone Bridge. Follow signs to I-95 North to Connecticut. Take I-95 North to Exit 8. Go up two lights, make a left on Canal Street. Second light make a right on Tresser Blvd. Then make first right into Marriott hotel, go to end and make a right into the Marriott Hotel parking garage. Taxi: Estimated $110 cab fare. Shuttle: Royal Club Limo/Connecticut Express Shuttle; fee: 145 USD (one way); reservation required.
LaGuardia - LGA: 35 miles. Driving Directions: Exit airport, take Grand Central Parkway towards Whitestone Bridge. Follow signs to I-95 North to Connecticut. Take I-95 North to Exit 8. Go up two lights, make a left on Canal Street. Second light, make a right on Tresser Blvd. Then make first right into the Marriott Hotel, go to end and make a right into the Marriott Hotel parking garage. Taxi: Estimated $110 cab fare. Shuttle: Alternate transportation: Royal Club Limo/Connecticut Express Shuttle; fee: 135 USD (one way); reservation required.
Westchester County White Plains Airport - HPN: 13 miles. Driving Directions: Take Route 684 South to 287 East. Follow signs for I-95 North to Connecticut. Take I-95 North to exit 8. Go up two lights and make a left on Canal Street. Second light make a right on Tresser Blvd. Then make a right into the Marriott Hotel, go to the end and make a right into the Marriott Hotel parking garage. Taxi: No estimate available. Shuttle: Alternate transportation: Royal Club Limo/Connecticut Express Shuttle; fee: 70 USD (one way); reservation required.
Public Transportation to the Stamford Marriott
The Stamford Marriott hotel is about 0.6 miles from the Metro North New Haven Line Stamford station. There are several economical ways to get to the Marriott from LaGuardia, JFK and Newark airports via public transportation. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (“MTA”) has a booklet that tells how to connect to the railroad:
Solving At Home
Now you can take part in the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament — and find out how you'd score — from your own home!
- On Your Computer: Solve the puzzles online on the weekend of the tournament, or at anytime throughout the year. Details to follow.
- By Mail: Receive this year's puzzles (upon completion of the tournament) by mailPlease note - we are no longer judging your puzzles or ranking against the actual contestants at the tournament. Click here to purchase puzzles.
If you need help, call Michael Smith at 215-266-2802 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For questions regarding the hotel, call the Stamford Marriott at (203) 357-9555.