NOTE: All queries and challenges will be addressed within about a week. Puzzle scans (see left) will be available for several months and then permanently removed. All available scans are posted.
See left panel for all results.
A Carnival of Puzzles was held Friday night, in which 10 different puzzlemakers presented original, timed word puzzles. Saturday evening featured presentations by Matt Ginsberg (Dr. Fill 3.0), David Steinberg (Pre-Shortzian Project update), and Will Shortz ("Clever Clues" game). Will announced that the tournament would be returning to Stamford in 2015. Dan Feyer won for the fifth year in a row, tying Tyler Hinman's record of consecutive wins. Tyler finished second. Katy Steinmetz wrote about their rivalry in Time.
Capsule history of all previous years.
Videos from the Tournament
Nancy Shack took lots of videos. So did Don Christensen. Click to view
Pictures from the Tournament
Webmaster note: Please be patient - this takes a lot of time!
- Don Christensen: Friday Night | Saturday Puzzles 1 through 6, Saturday Night | Sunday | Playoffs
- Michael Alpern's Photos — CRU Dinner and more!
- Nancy Shack's Photos
- Deb Amlen: Wordplay — The Crossword Blog of the New York Times.
- Patricia Campbell Stewart: Rookie's Report
- Eric Berlin: A shorter-than-usual ACPT wrap-up [spoilers]
- Dan Feyer: ACPT 2014: Fighting for Five
- Tyler Hinman: Two Much
- Peter Johannson The Puzzled Knucklehead
- Dave and Robert Mackey, the Puzzle Brothers: Damn, Feyer (also on Twitter at @thepuzbros
- Patrick Merrell: Final Impressions
- Mark Murphy: Fun at the puzzle tournament [spoilers]
- Brendan Emmett Quigley: "Steely" Dan Scores a Five-Peat [spoilers]
- David Steinberg: ACPT Wrap-Up, New XWord Info Feature on Women Constructors, and In 1948
The following 43 contestants solved all 7 puzzles with no mistakes.
Howard Barkin, Victor Barocas, John Beck, Jonathan Berman, Patty Buethe, David Chapus, Kevan Choset, Benjamin Coe, Judy Cole, Paul Coulter, Ken Crowell, Tom Daily, Jon Delfin, Alice Dutton, Anne Erdmann, Dan Feyer, Amy Goldstein, Peter Gordon, Rolf Hamburger, Katie Hamill, Francis Heaney, David Heinick, Tyler Hinman, Kari Knutson, Andy Kravis, Eric LeVasseur, Eric Maddy, Matt Matera, Michael Megargee, Leigh Newman, Joon Pahk, Doug Peterson, David Plotkin, Christine Quinones, Peter Rimkus, Ellen Ripstein, Dawn Ross, Matt Sandler, Ken Stern, Scott Weiss, Thomas Weisswange, John Wilson, Stella Zawistowski.
In the News
- Inside America’s Most Elite Crossword Puzzle Rivalry Katy Steinmetz, Time [March 12, 2014]
- Hillsborough resident places third in American Crossword Puzzle Tournament Susan Loyer, MyCentralJersey.com [March 11, 2014]
- The 60-second interview: Will Shortz, Crossword Editor for The New York Times Capital Staff, Capital New York [March 7, 2014]
- Local Crossword fan readies for national competition Philip Walzer, The Virginian-Pilot [March 2, 2014]
- Meet the Constructors of the 2014 ACPT tournament puzzles
Officials — 2014
|Webmaster||Nancy Parsons Heller|
|Scoring Programmer||Matt Ginsberg|
|Database Preparer||Joe Cabrera|
|Online Tournament Manager||Peter Ritmeester|
|Playoff Boards||Douglas Ashleigh|
|Playoff Announcers||Ophira Eisenberg and Greg Pliska|
|Judges and referees (in alphabetical order)|
|Allison Broad, Andrea Carla Michaels, Anna Ball, Anna Shechtman, Ashish Vengsarkar, Brad Wilber, Brendan Emmett Quigley, Brian Cimmet, Bruce Haight, Bruce Venzke, Byron Walden, Caroline Pahk, Casey Julia, Charles Foreman, David Kahn, David Quarfoot, Donna Levin, Donna Tessitore, Doug Ashleigh, Emily Volz, Ethan Friedman, Evie Eysenburg, Fran Kaplan, Fred Piscop, George Barany, Helene Hovanec, Ian Livengood, Janie Smulyan, Jeff Chen, Jen Tanner, Jen Yuan, Jim Page, Jim Russell, Joanne Sullivan, John Dunn, John Lieb, Judy Raphael, Jules Markey, Kate Lepp, Kevin Christian, Kristian House, Lauren Salitan, Laurie Resnick, Leanne O’Donnell, Mala Nagarajan, Mangesh Ghogre, Marilyn Kelly, Mark Danna, Matt Ginsberg, Merl Reagle, Michael Dewey, Michael Smith, Michelle Arnot, Mike Nothnagel, Mike Shenk, Nancy Parsons, Nancy Schuster, Nicole Mobley, Patrick Merrell, Paula Gamache, Sara Sadin, Sara Salitan, Sarah Keller, Shawn Kennedy, Stan Newman, Steve Levy, Steve Salitan, Susan West, Trip Payne, Valerie Salitan, Vic Fleming, Will Shortz, Yang-Yang Chen|